Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Ketubah!

Today I learned about the ketubah and I decided I want one when I get married. It's an ancient Jewish tradition that's like a pre-nup, but that promises to maintain all the good things instead of (or in addition to) promising recompense should the marriage end. It's not as weirdly fatalistic as the pre-nup. It's more that one's great marriage is a continual reward for staying married. Ketubot can be artistically rendered to reflect the aesthetics of the couple, and are hung in the house as a decoration AND reminder of the wedding vows. It sounds like a pretty great time.

This is the internet-official story.

I am compelled by the idea of the "secular humanist" ketubah, such as one using this text, but then decorating it like the one in the wikipedia article. Other cool designs I found were:


I was raised and consider myself both culturally and spiritually Christian, but I'm more into the Beatitudes kind of Christianity. Since my wedding ceremony will likely be very humanist and individual to my bride and me, I'm all for adopting any traditions from any cultures that we find symbolic or meaningful.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home