Friday, August 03, 2007

Looking forward to numbers 23 –

I have written 2 blogs recently, but they were both on paper ("taking the "b" out of the portmanteau "blog"), and I'll upload them when I get to it. In the meantime, I'm compelled to tell a short story.

I'm taking a graduate school class at the University of Buffalo this fall. A departmental secretary named Nancy Myers signed me up for the class, but to do anything else I need my UB "person number" and my UB password. In order to get one, you need the other, and vice-versa. Now I know UB is a giant bureaucratic public school where students are treated as numbers, but I have the handy connection of my recent nice interactions with the aforementioned departmental secretary. These people hold all the power at universities, so I am always extra nice to make sure I can get help when I need it. (And because, you know, I'm nice.)

In order to circumvent the need for person number or password to get the other, I finally found a help link saying I could request my info be sent to me if the department also requested it. Bingo, I know just who to ask. So I sent Ms. Myers a very nice email carefully explaining the situation and clearly requesting her help, and I received this as a response:


Alright, no big deal. These types of auto-responses are common enough in busy offices. I'm sure Ms. Iszkun was more than capable of helping me out, especially if I wrote another nice email explaining the situation. So I did, and received this as a response:


I am not ashamed to admit that I only read 148 pages of Joseph Heller's Catch 22 (especially because the book report I gave, including questions by the teacher, got an A+), but I read enough of it to know one when I see one. Come on, UB, don't be like this. I am new to you, UB; I am a blank slate waiting to be impressed by every level of your institution. I will treat you right, promising to participate beneficially in your community and to sing your praises to other potential members, if you will only just offer me a logical path to follow on my academic journey. This is all I ask, UB, and we are off to a bad start.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 10:18 PM, Blogger Vreni Schoenenberger said...

Mr. Mack,

What's it been - 6 or 7 years since I last said hello? (Do you even remember anyone from the Pavilion contingent?) I'll be working in Buffalo nearly every day for the next month, and would love to hang out. I suppose I could have called all 5 Macks in the Buffalo-area phonebook to locate you, but that might be perceived as odd and stalkerish. Almost like randomly posting a message like this on your (very public) blog. Anyways, hit me up at yalefoodpolicy at gmaildotcom.

-Vreni

 
At 10:13 AM, Blogger Drew said...

Ah yes, welcome to the bureaucratic hell that is UB. Good luck becoming lost amongst the numbers. Just make sure that you kiss whatever secretary's ass happens to not be on vacation. That's the only way I made it through year one!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home