Friday, March 03, 2006

It's time to move on

Most of us saw Napolean Dynamite, and most of us loved it. There is something very wonderful about such a small story. It's just few days of private successes with no stunts or big soundtrack, and almost no character development. I loved it, and my 70-year-old former boss loved it. It was a cultural experience.

But now it's over. The novelty that made it seem so revolutionary is long past, and even the people who haven't seen the movie can quote you every funny line. Now if you hear someone say "gosh!" or "friggin' idiots!" it makes you wince. I mean, I bought the DVD, and I plan to watch it again. I'm just going to wait a few years until that post-novelty wince turns into a nostalgic chuckle.

So I offer two items for you to transition smoothly through this, I think appropriately titled (by me), "post-novelty" phase.

First, what is post-modernism to what was modernism, a post-novel t-shirt is to the t-shirt that was novel. You see? You see.

Second, remember who the real Napolean was, and what he was all about.

This is my gift to you, to help you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home