Wednesday, March 14, 2007

If you're not outraged, you're probably thinking about something else that's more important to you (and maybe the world in general)

You are currently reading my blog! That puts you into the category of "people who read my blog," so I can assume that you know all about me. So of course you know that I have been working at Starbucks for a while. It's funny how adamantly some people feel about my job! I'm just trying to make a dime, work with my friends, and get some help paying for health insurance. Some people are so against me working for what they see as the "big evil corporate machine" that they try and to proselytize about it, or at least scoff at the idea that I like my job. Someone told me once that it was "like selling out" (they were in the store, mind you). Let me tell you people, first of all it's a good company to work for (it's not nearly as evil as Wal-Mart, for example). They take GREAT care of their employees and have excellent quality control to make that latte worth $4. Second of all, I don't freaking care. I'm so sick of the "if you're not outraged, you're not paying attention" mentality. I work hard to make the world a better place. I'll work on what I think is important with my skills, and you work on your part with your skills, and between all of us things will get better all over. I'm a good friend, a good employee, a good student, and when I get to work in psychology I feel that I'm doing more good for the world than a million bumper stickers. Your favorite local coffee shop (or other cool indie business) doesn't give health insurance to their employees, their employees all drive to work in gas-guzzling cars, and they probably use bad grammar, so don't pretend they're perfect because they're indie and get all righteous on me.

There, I've said it, now I don't need to say it again. I really don't get upset about what other people think. I really don't care very much. I don't even drink coffee. As Andrew Bird so incisively put it, "Listen up, I just work here."

Changing gears, I had an interesting epiphany while at work the other day. When one works the register at Starbucks, one is supposed to greet the customer as he or she enters the store or approaches the till. You end up saying the same thing over and over, so you look for ways to make it a bit different. Ask them how their day is if you need an extra few seconds to finish something up. Save "greetings!" for an older or more distinguished looking customer who will enjoy it more than a casual "hey there!" And occasionally I like to bust out a rarity in this region, "howdy!" I was thinking about the etymology of that word, and I realized it is probably a very simple derivation of "how do you do?"

How do you do --> How doya do? --> Howdy do? --> Howdy!

I came home and looked it up and hell yeah I was totally right! At the time I shared my revelation with my coworkers. Nobody was impressed.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At 6:58 PM, Blogger Trevor said...

Mr. Mack, it's been a while! Noah mentioned to me that you had a blog and so thought I'd mosey on over to see what you were up to. It's good to see you're still alive and kicking in Buffalo. I'm still playing with the idea of sig nu fromal, so maybe I'll be seeing you in a month or so... either way, keep in touch.

PS. Starbucks = great place to work. I used to hate them when I was in high school for the usual "I hate corporations" reason, but when I worked there two summers ago, I realized that they're actually a pretty sweet company.

 
At 12:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jack,
I can't believe the coincidence that I happened upon your blog for the first time right after you posted in favor of Starbucks and I posted against them!
I am encouraging everyone to boycott Starbucks because their locations in Saudi Arabia are gender-segregated, offering inferior accomodations (no chairs!) to their female customers.
There's more info on my blog.
You may enjoy working there but that doesn't justify supporting Starbucks' cooperation with gender apartheid. I'm sure being lectured to by friends and strangers about your choice of employer is a drag, but you could always find a new job if it bothers you that much. I'm sure you can find an independent coffeeshop that offers health insurance . . . oh wait, they've all been driven out of business by Starbucks!
I have to say, though, when you are marching in an anti-globalization protest through the streets of Washington D.C. and you need to use a restroom, the evil corporate behemoth comes through with clean facilities. For that, and that only, I am grateful to Starbucks.

 
At 12:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry, thought the blog address would display at the bottom. It is: www.bethandnavid.com/blog

 
At 4:25 PM, Blogger Jack said...

1) Who the hell is this chick? I don't troll the internet looking for people to complain to, but I guess some people do. Well, glad I could be entertaining.

2) The only coffeeshop in town that was driven out of business was because of SPoT Coffee, a (better) indie coffee shop. The others don't compete with Starbucks much.

3) Allow me to say again, "As Andrew Bird so incisively put it, 'Listen up, I just work here.'"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home