Monday, March 27, 2006

Change My Stride

Yesterday I bought Tricky's 1996 album Pre-Millennium Tension and I listened to it while driving around today. The album anticipates a post-apocalyptic aesthetic with trembling beats, guarded whispers and shifty sideways glances. The whole album explores different aspects of this lonesome feeling, which made it an interesting soundtrack to my day. Since all my errands and outings were fairly nearby, I didn't spend very long in my car at once and thus it took me all day to listen through the album. From 9am until the following 1am a dude experiences a lot, feels a lot of different ways. It was a strange experience having PMT as my emotional soundingboard between my daily outings. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it was outright jolting (but in a quiet, anxious way). The album (and similarly, my day) hinged on the moment of clarity that is "Makes Me Wanna Die." Everything before track 5 anticipates it as everything after slides away. Indeed, the pure desolation of "Makes Me Wanna Die" and the creepy shuffling of "Christiansands" are enough to make the album worth owning. You may not find yourself reaching for it all that often, but when you need to it'll be the only thing that satisfies.

"when the bomb hits (what music will you look to for shelter?)
when the bomb hits (what music will you look to for shelter?)
when the bomb hits (what music will you look to for shelter?)
not that mine'll help ya" - Sage Francis

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home