Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Interviewz

I have a job interview today. I'm fairly relaxed because while some people have a good memory or are very analytical, my particular skill set allows me to be confidant that I'll interview well. I'm good with meeting people, I think best on my feet and I'm broadly comfortable within the textures of conversation. But how different would it be if this interview was being recorded? Recently I watch a "documentary" that a friend made about another friend's band (I believe it was for a class) and it really seemed that every answer the bandmates gave either sounded silly and unoriginal or painfully haughty. Trying too hard all around. I mean I'm sure that, as confidant in my verbal abilities as I am, not everything I say is perfectly eloquent. I simply count on the overall impression to be good, which easily overrides any inarticulate moments in the middle. The difference is that a recorded interview can be manipulated to hide or highlight those moments with editing. The mind of the "live" interviewer does it for me, but I wonder how I'd come off if I was asked a few questions in front of a camera. It's kind of scary that those answers could exist forever, in some capacity. Do you plan out what you want to say, or go off-the-cuff? Consider that either way has a high probability of making you sound like a jackass when someone watches it a year later. I'm lucky that at this point in my life I'm not notable enough to warrant filming, but perhaps someday I will be. I guess when the time comes I'll just pray for a good editor.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home