Thursday, April 13, 2006

2 posts in one day??!?!

Before you read any further, take the following test. It's an interesting analysis of your style of humor.

TAKE THE TEST!


You didn't take it yet did you? You kept reading? See, I want you to take it first because I'm going to tell you what my result was, and I don't want you to be influenced by me.

So go ahead and CHECK IT.

Okay now that you've really done it*, this is what my answer was:
Your humor style:
CLEAN | COMPLEX | DARK


You like things edgy, subtle, and smart. I guess that means you're probably an intellectual, but don't take that to mean pretentious. You realize 'dumb' can be witty--after all isn't that the Simpsons' philosophy?--but rudeness for its own sake, 'gross-out' humor and most other things found in a fraternity leave you totally flat.

I guess you just have a more cerebral approach than most. You have the perfect mindset for a joke writer or staff writer.

Your sense of humor takes the most thought to appreciate, but it's also the best, in my opinion.

You probably loved the Office. If you don't know what I'm talking about, check it out here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/theoffice/.

PEOPLE LIKE YOU: Jon Stewart - Woody Allen - Ricky Gervais


_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

I'd say that's pretty close. People have often commented that when I'm in my element with my closest friends, conversation becomes a constant stream of allusion, wordplay, and stylized delivery that can be indecipherable to people without the same perspective. And by that I mean people who haven't taken in the same movies/books/cultural phenomena, who aren't verbally oriented enough to enjoy puns and interesting diction, and who don't learn by asking questions of their friends, only to turn their new knowledge into a joke later that year. Not to sound condescending, but I really enjoy a thickly verbal and perfectly executed random allusion. And while Family Guy quotes are often hilarious, nothing beats a reference to Chaucer that only three people in the group understand.

But I also lived in a fraternity house, albeit a smart one, and I enjoyed most of the goings-on. I DO think rudeness and vulgarity is inherently funny, and I'm proud to be "that guy" who will push the limit of what is acceptable to joke about (in the right company). Maybe the above style is still there, because it's all about the creative use of rudeness. Nothing is funnier than when you're thinking "I shouldn't be laughing at this" and you're laughing anyway. I guess it adds the element of laughing at yourself.

You and I, we'll get along, but if we trade our favorite books we'll get along better.

*PS- post your result from the humor test as a comment, I really want to see what the other results say. Also, I really want a comment.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 3:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Because you asked so nicely. . . .

your humor style:
CLEAN | SPONTANEOUS | LIGHT


Your style's goofy, innocent and feel-good. Perfect for parties and for the dads who chaperone them. You can actually get away with corny jokes, and I bet your sense of humor is a guilty pleasure for your friends. People of your type are often the most approachable and popular people in their circle. Your simple & silly good-naturedness is immediately recognizable, and it sets you apart in this sarcastic world.

PEOPLE LIKE YOU: Will Ferrell - Will Smith

 
At 7:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

VULGAR | COMPLEX | DARK

You'll crack on anything, and you're often witty, even caustic, about it.

Therefore, your sense of humor is polarizing. You're transgressive, and you've got a seriously sharp 'edge'--maybe too much for some folks. If they get you, people think you're one of the funniest (and smartest) people in the world. If they don't, they think you're an ass. Whatever, right? While some might question your judgement, your comic intellect is unquestionably respected.

PEOPLE LIKE YOU: Chris Rock - Lenny Bruce - George Carlin

 
At 11:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i am actually in line with leslie, as clean, spontaneous, light. which i actually don't agree with all that much. i mean, the reason i didn't like the drunk ass guy with shit all over him wasn't that he was shamed, so much as that the shaming was kind of dumb. i mean, nazi symbols on his cheeks? sadly, i don't think the guys that were partying with him were the type of guys that i would find funny making nazi references.

oh, and personally my favorite euphemism for male masturbation is "tuesday afternoon."

 
At 1:47 PM, Blogger Andy B said...

I was also in the Clean Spontaneous Light group - seems like all of the cool kids are. Also, I'm typing this at work! Depending on how much I work the front desk, I may very well follow in your footsteps and establish a blog simply because I have nothing better to do with my time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home