Tuesday, June 06, 2006

The Government is Awesome, Maybe?

Guess what I just heard! The tinkling of an ice cream truck coming down the street! Usually trucks are associated with being loud and smelly, and making annoying beeps when backing up. But not ice cream trucks, no sir! Their beeps are delightful, playing Scott Joplin's "The Entertainer" or something else that will please the young and old. They are the beeps of the masses! The heart of the proletariat beeps with ice cream trucks as the pacemaker.

There were two children and one adult standing next to the ice cream truck. I can't imagine that the ice cream truck made enough off of their sale to justify the effort. It must be difficult to turn an ice cream profit with gas prices what they are, not to mention the varied means of obtaining sweets. They don't even have a solid customer base. They have to hope that people are hungry enough for their ice cream that simply by playing music people will walk out the door to spend money. My conclusion is that there is no way ice cream truck companies can be self-sufficient. However they obviously still exist, I just saw one! So my postulate is that ice cream trucks are subsidized by the government to promote nostalgia and good-neighborly feelings. Sort of like Amtrak, but less practical? I know it is hard to believe, but I can think of no other explanation. I bet the subsidies are buried in super-hidden triple-secret rules that say the people are paid back in the "priceless commodity of a child's laughter." If this is so, bravo government! As I always say, I think there should be more institutionalized fun and hilarity.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home